I love casual dresses for hot summer days.
In fact Miss 22 and I have coined our own term for what we think is a summer style staple: the everywhere dress.
What is an Everywhere Dress?
An everywhere dress is a casual summer dress that you can just chuck on, without having to think about it.
In addition to being quick and easy, it should be:
- something that always makes you feel good about yourself – in a flattering style and colour.
- light, cool and comfortable.
- no fuss – ie drip dry, with no ironing or handwashing required, so it’s always ready for action.
- something that doesn’t require special underwear ie a strapless bra (which rules out most strappy dresses).
- a pattern or print, so it doesn’t show stains or spills easily (or am I the only messy one?!);
- easily dressed up with accessories, but looks just as good without – because let’s face it, in summer it’s too hot and humid to want a lot of fuss;
- able to go anywhere – shopping, after school pickup, a barbecue, to the movies, out to lunch, running errands … everywhere, in fact!
A True Everywhere Dress is Rare
It would be nice to have a closet full of everywhere dresses. But it’s just not that simple …
Each summer, I seem to gravitate to just one dress in my wardrobe. I was going to say “one special dress”. But that’s the point – it isn’t particularly special – although obviously I love it or I wouldn’t wear it. Because if it WAS a special dress, then it couldn’t be an everywhere dress – if that makes sense!
It’s your automatic “go to” dress.
Check out this everywhere dress which I bought in (I think) 2014. As soon as I tried it on in the fitting room, I knew it would make a great everywhere dress … I’ve worn it on walks, on a cruise in the South Pacific, to the beach, to the shops, on holidays and at home.
Eventually though even the best everywhere dress falls out of favour – usually when they’ve been washed and worn so much they’ve faded and become pilly. But don’t worry, that’s when they become a favourite in your “home clothes” selection!
Do you have an everywhere dress this season? What does it look like?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links